Christmas Giving Guide
There are tons of great opportunities to express Jesus’ love this Christmas season to people in our community who need encouragement. Below, find all kinds of ways you can give of your time, talent and treasure to be a blessing to someone this Christmas.
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 11, 6:30-8PM
From Jesus with Love is our annual event where families from our congregation and the KW community living on a low-income budget are invited to a Christmas party to enjoy live music, food and children’s activities. Parents also have the opportunity to select one gift for each of their pre-registered children. Want to attend the party as a guest? Click here for pre-registration details.
- Volunteer to help with preparations before the event or in various roles on the night of the party. Click here to sign up for a role online; visit the designated table in the Foyer on Sunday mornings to sign up in person.
- Donate gifts with a retail value of $25-35 (before sales discounts) for kids ages 0-16. We’ll need 600 new gifts to provide parents with adequate selection. Deposit your gift donations in the collection bins in WMB’s main entryways starting Sunday, November 4. (See gift guidelines and suggestions here).
- Give monetary donations toward the purchase of gifts by making a donation to WMB Church designated to Barnabas Missions.
MORE INFORMATION: Contact Stefanie MacGregor, Director, Barnabas Local Outreach.
Write a letter or card to one (or a few!) of WMB’s Global Partners or Associate Missionaries to be sent along with a package from WMB for Christmas. A short word of encouragement can carry a significant blessing across many miles!
OPPORTUNITY: Click here for a list of our partners and missionaries, and bring your greetings to the Info Desk on Sundays or the Church Office during the week no later than Tuesday, November 27.
MORE INFORMATION: Contact Michelle Knowles, Director, Global Outreach.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16, 6:30-8PM
Victoria Hills Community Centre (10 Chopin Dr, Kitchener)
Each year, Barnabas Victoria Hills hosts “Five Carols and Their Stories, a celebration of the season for community members, many of whom have never experienced Christmas in Canada. This coffeehouse-style party features festive music, treats and crafts for kids.
- Supply homemade Christmas cookies before the party.
- Volunteer at the party: sing in a small group; facilitate children’s crafts; or help with set-up and take-down and participate with guests during the party.
Contact Mary Ellen Tierney, Director, Barnabas Victoria Hills, to volunteer at this event.
MORE INFORMATION: Contact Mary Ellen Tierney.
WMB’s Barnabas Missions is deeply connected with many families who, without help, do not have the means to provide a Christmas meal and gifts for their family while keeping up with other basic needs.
- “Adopt” a family anonymously. We’ll supply the wish list, and you do the shopping and wrapping to make this Christmas special.
- Donate a frozen 7-12 lb turkey to be given to a family in need.
Contact Ann Jobes, Office Administrator, to participate in Adopt-a-Family.
MORE INFORMATION: Contact Ann Jobes.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 5-8PM
Each year at Christmastime, WMB partners with MCRS (Mennonite Coalition for Refugee Support) to host a party for refugee claimants to celebrate the season with food, music and Christmas traditions. We need volunteers to help in a variety of ways to put on this event!
- Volunteer before the party (Friday afternoon): help prepare food, decorate or set up on the Friday afternoon before the party.
- Volunteer at the party (Friday evening): serve food, host a table and share a meal with guests, help facilitate the kids’ program or help with clean-up.
Contact Michelle Knowles, Director, Global Outreach, to volunteer at this event.
MORE INFORMATION: Contact Michelle Knowles.
Filled with goodies like chocolate, tea and gifts, Bethlehem Baskets are a way of encouraging people in our community who have experienced a loss or difficult circumstances in the last year and don’t have a church home.
- Submit recipient nominations by Thursday, December 13. Is there someone in your life who doesn’t have a church family and who’d be encouraged by receiving a basket of goodies just before Christmas? Click here to nominate someone online or fill out a nomination form at the Info Desk on a Sunday morning.
- Help assemble or deliver the baskets on Sunday, December 16, beginning at 10:15am in the WMB Church Chapel. No sign-up required – just come and join in the fun!
MORE INFORMATION: Contact Lisa Matthews, Director, Administration.